The merchant history of the Keskinen family starts from the youth of the current merchant’s, Vesa Keskinen’s great-great-grandfather, Kustaa Keskinen. In the 1800s, he worked as a travelling merchant in the sparsely inhabited neighbouring towns of the Tuuri village. Kustaa’s son, Matias, followed in his father’s footsteps as the village merchant. After Matias died, his 17-year-old son Toivo took the responsibility of both the business and taking care of his mother and eight siblings.
In 1946, Toivo established his first fixed shop in the cupboard of his small, red house. He transferred the shop to the sawmill’s workshop building, the current location of Kyläkauppa, in 1969. In 1976, Toivo’s sons Matti and Mikko Keskinen bought the company, T.M.K. Keskinen, from their father and founded Veljekset Keskinen Oy.